Last weekend, from Thursday Night until Sunday Night, I did not eat any solid food, on purpose. I first learned of the benefits Intermittent Fasting in 2012 from the blog of Mark Sisson. The short list is anti-aging, slowing or preventing cancer, athletic improvements, cognitive improvement, hormone balancing, and more.
Since 2012, I have completed 2 dozen or more 24 hour fasts, usually following the format of having breakfast and not eating until breakfast the next day. The goal of the fast is to keep your body in a state of ketosis, where your body is running on the energy of ketone bodies or fatty acids, this happens when your body taps into stored fat to use as fuel. Even the fittest person, with 10% bodyfat, has enough energy stores to last for 2+ weeks without food.
There are many types of fasts, these were the parameters I chose: I drank water & tea only. I added coconut oil to my tea. Each day I had some Amino Acid supplements (BCAA’s) in capsule form, and at 48 hours I had some bone broth.
What Did I Learn?
1. 3 days wasn’t 3x more difficult than a 1 day fast – I was pleasantly surprised by this, I think the first 24 are most difficult because of habits.
2. Drinking Plenty of Water is a Great Idea – Shifting your physiology causes you to eliminate byproducts of sugar burning, increased water helps you flush these byproducts. You may feel some “activity” in your kidneys from the extra work they are doing.
3. The Mental Clarity was Amazing – I felt mentally and physically energized throughout the entire process.
4. Walking is a Good Thing – Going back to #3, your body will be shedding a bit of stuff (technical term), keeping your body in motion keeps things moving through the system.
5. An Appreciation of Food – My experience of going back to solid food has been one of greater appreciation and mindfulness of what I’m eating and how much. When you feel amazing without food, you make sure you stay that way by only putting into your body what will continue to make you feel good.
I first heard of Intermittent Fasting 20+ years ago, and I didn’t fully understand the benefits or I would have tried it sooner. There are plenty of resources on the how or why in addition to the link above. I hope that in sharing my experiences it will give you the curiosity to look into adding this to your overall wellness repertoire.
P.S. – I will be hosting a free class, January 3rd from 6-7PM at Integrated Life, titled “2017 – Your Best Year Ever”. All are welcome – RSVP by Texting 434-227-7149